The costs associated with the connection, or adaption, of external incoming Utility Services do NOT form part of the 'Building Contract' as these supply charges vary according to location of the site, and the Contractor has no control over either the Utility Companies timescale or charges.

You will have to apply at your nearest Utility offices, who will need to see inter alia:

  • your Passport,
  • a completed Application Form,
  • a copy of the Building Permit,
  • your Tax ID number 

Make sure if you are 'inheriting' an existing incoming water or electrical supply, that meter readings are taken, and agreed with the Vendor at the time of purchase.

1. Water ΔΕΥΑΒΑ

There are two separate water supply categories:-

  • Residential
  • Agricultural

Water from the residential supply is considered safe to drink in all urban areas, although occasionally it can be of poor quality.  Water in rural areas may well come from a local well, and be slightly contaminated by fertilisers and nitrates.

2. Electricity ΔΕΗ

Electricity bills are issued every 4 months; and comprise:

  • the cost of electricity consumed,
  • the operation, maintenance and development of the infrastructure system,
  • a 'non interconnected' island charge,
  • a tax for Greenhouse Gas emissions,
  • the cost of transferring collected FPA/VAT to the Central Government,
  • Municipal charges (including rubbish collection),
  • payment to the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation,
  • FPA/VAT 

3. Telephone (OTE)

If your property does not have a telephone line, you may be charged for the installation of telephone poles.  The lead in time for the installation of supply poles can extend to many months as OTE may only service certain rural areas once a year.

4. Gas

There is no 'mains' gas on Crete (bottled gas is readily available for cooking purposes).

5. Mains Sewer

Mains sewers exist in major cities and large towns.

In rural areas, your will have to install a septic tank installation, which will normally form part of the 'Building Contract'.