POOL CONSTRUCTION COSTS
These notes assume that your intention is to construct an ‘in ground’ reinforced concrete swimming pool.
‘Prefabricated’ or ‘compact’ swimming pools
There is no requirement for a ‘prefabricated’ or ‘compact’ swimming pool to form part of the Building Contract, as you can place an order direct with any number or companies providing this service, although the Pool Shell excavation, concrete sub-base and perimeter pool deck would be undertaken by your builder.
‘In ground’ reinforced concrete swimming pools
There are many factors effecting construction costs, including:
- overall size,
- constant or variable depth,
- type of pool (with skimmers, overflow or infinity),
- nature of the sub-soil and topography of the site,
- level of sophistication of the pool plant,
- specification of finishes to the pool shell (mosaic tile, Quartz sand or painted),
- number and type of pool shell lights,
- pool cover, if required (materials, manual or automatic),
- number of stainless steel pool ladders
As a guide cost, an ‘in ground’ reinforced concrete swimming pool with internal dimensions of 8.0m x 4.0m, would cost about €25,000, or €780m2, excluding the surrounding pool ‘deck’, Building Permit and VAT/FPA.
You have two options in terms of construction. 1) you can employ a Pool Contractor to provide you with a turn-key pool, or 2) your builder can carry out the construction of the pool shell, water proofing, rendering and tiling, and you employ a separate Pool contractor to carry out the hydraulic, mechanical and electrical services (cost about €4,500 - €5,000 excluding VAT/FPA).
The above costs exclude items such as ‘Salt water Chlorination’, counter current swimming jets or water heating. These are up-gradable options available at additional cost.